Monday, August 20, 2012

Made4Math Monday #3?

I'm losing count of my #Made4Math posts since I've inconsistently participated... oops. Anyway, this past #MyFavFriday had a theme of "favorite review game" that I didn't know about and rather than posting a second #MyFavFriday post I decided to turn my review game into a Made4Math (I did make it afterall, for a math class!)

Without further ado: Jeopardy!


I've used this both for semester reviews and chapter reviews. The kids beg to play Jeopardy review. I'm not sure where my mentor teacher got this from (if you google jeopardy review there are tons of templates) but I just took it from her. Any time I want a new Jeopardy game I just change the category titles and use PPTs "MathType" to make new problems. All of the squares are linked, and when the PPT is working at it's best the point values turn blue if they've been clicked. I usually keep track on a clipboard just in case.

The Set Up

  • Students are in groups of 3-4
  • Each group has a single whiteboard, marker, and eraser
  • Each student has a sheet of paper
The Rules:
  • Every student must copy the problem and solution on their notebook paper (label with B10 and E25)
  • One student writes the final answer on the whiteboard for the group (rotate so everybody participates)
  • When I call boards up you must hold up your solution to have your answer counted
  • Groups can only gain points (there is no loss for being wrong)
  • Groups can only pick questions worth <15pts in the first few rounds
  • The groups select questions in order (group 1, then 2, then 3, etc) since many groups get the solution correctly
  • In the last 5 minutes the teacher will select a question category and point value. The students will bet however many points they'd like that they will get the question right. The teacher reveals the question and the groups gain/lose the amount of points they bet depending on if their answer is right.

5 comments:

  1. Could you please post a link to the PPT file? I'd love a copy of it. Thanks!
    --Lisa (@lmhenry9)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't realize there was a theme for #MyFavFriday haha. I haven't posted my made for math yet...so maybe I'll copy you and post about a game. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,

    Your post is very nice and your work is totally look like same to your title and very easy to use it and I definitely use this because I liked semester reviews and chapter reviews is nice to review your whole semester.

    Thanks for sharing.

    Regards
    Abacus Franchise

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, this is the right way to teach students. Students find math as the most difficult subject, the maths teacher needs to apply a technique so that students can learn maths with interest.

    Richmond hill tutors

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great game. Teachers and Tutors would love this!  Tutors Toront

    ReplyDelete