Wednesday, August 22, 2012

They Don't Teach You That In School...

I'm now halfway through my third week of school and the one thing that blows my mind each and every day is the "mess". At no point in my teacher preparation program, or any of my three internship semesters, or even my student teaching semester, did they ever mention how much paper traffic there is as a teacher. I have piles upon piles of "things to read" and "worksheets to file" and even with a TA we can't seem to stay caught up. Each day new things are added to my physical mailbox and my virtual mailbox, plus the things that I create, plus the things that kids leave for me. I mean seriously, why is there so much paper?

I worked out a dinky filing system before the semester started figuring that I would need something to keep organized. It's like trying to power my house with a potato. The problem is that my life is in full swing now and I don't have the time to recreate my organizational system in a focused, methodical way. I'm scrambling to come up with something on the fly that will carry me through the rest of the year.

Can we please add Classroom Organization 101 to every teacher preparation program? Sheesh.

3 comments:

  1. Amen! I have papers strewn all throughout my classroom, that I know need a "proper" place in the process of handing them back to students, but I haven't created a system yet either. I definitely need to though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed. I have piles of foldables everywhere. I have a place to file the extras when I'm done with them, but I keep setting them down random places during the day. I feel like I spend so much time just searching for stuff.

    If you find a solution, please share. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here is a collection of blogs by high school teachers about organization. Good luck with paper madness! http://anotherteacherblog.blogspot.com/2012/08/organization-hssunfun-blog.html

    ReplyDelete